A federal government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, S.W. - Washington, D.C. 20201
Monitoring flu cases around the world enables:
- Quick detection of unusual flu outbreaks
- Isolation of possible pandemic viruses
- Immediate notification of health authorities in the United States and around the world
These steps are critical to ensuring a quick and effective response to a potential pandemic.
Monitoring Potential Pandemic Flu
- Influenza Update
Read summaries of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) global flu surveillance.
- Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System
Get information on potential flu pandemics.
Monitoring H5N1 (Avian) Flu
- Cumulative Number of Confirmed Human Cases of Avian Influenza A (H5N1) reported to WHO, 2003-2011
Access WHO’s list of confirmed H5N1 cases.
- Situation Updates - Avian Influenza
Read WHO’s H5N1 situation updates.
- Update on Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Animals (Type H5 and H7)
View the World Organisation for Animal Health’s graph of H5N1 outbreaks in poultry. The data is available by country from 2003 to the present.
- H5N1 Avian Influenza: Timeline of Major Events (PDF – 393KB)
Review WHO’s timeline of H5N1 outbreaks in animals and humans from 1996 to the present.
- Update on Human Cases of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza A (H5N1) Infection, 2010 (PDF – 524KB)
Get WHO’s report describing the 48 human cases of H5N1 reported to them during 2010.
Pandemic Planning Activities
- Influenza: Public Health Preparedness
Access the World Health Organization’s (WHO) home page on preparing for a flu pandemic.
- Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Framework
Get WHO’s guidelines for improving pandemic influenza preparedness and response.
- Responding to the Avian Influenza Pandemic Threat: Recommended Strategic Actions (PDF - 13 KB)
Read WHO’s recommended pandemic flu preparation activities for countries.
- WHO Checklist for Influenza Pandemic Preparedness Planning
Read WHO’s publication on pandemic preparedness planning.
- List of Guidances
Access WHO’s advice and recommendations on practices related to the flu.
- Pandemic Influenza Evaluation and Capacity Review Tools
Read about flu surveillance, laboratory testing, and inventory tools used by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Global Surveillance During an Influenza Pandemic
Review WHO’s guidelines for information to collect during a flu pandemic.
- Licensing & Royalties
Browse current licensing opportunities for flu diagnostics, therapies, vaccines, and more.